The NBTA is holding a Volunteer Caseworker Training Session on Sunday 11th September 2016 from 11am to 5pm at Bradford on Avon Youth and Community Centre, Kennet Gardens, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire BA15 1LE. Lunch will be provided. Please book a place: see below.
The training session will be followed by the first meeting of the NBTA Kennet and Avon Group at 5.15pm to 7pm. Just turn up at 5.15pm.
We receive a lot of requests for help from boat dwellers without permanent moorings. The majority of those who contact the NBTA are experiencing problems with the following: enforcement action by the Canal & River Trust and other navigation authorities; eviction from riverside moorings by local authorities and other riparian landowners; and denial of access to welfare benefits, especially Housing Benefit.
With a large number of boat dwellers on the Kennet and Avon Canal, we are looking to expand our team of volunteer caseworkers as enforcement by Canal & River Trust is being stepped up. This training day will cover many of the enforcement issues facing boat dwellers in detail. Background reading material will be provided beforehand.
The training session is free, but donations are welcome towards the cost of room hire and amenities. If you want to take part in the training session, please book your place as soon as possible by responding to this email with your:
3) Mobile number
Please also provide brief details of as much of the following as you can:
4) Your experience of living on a boat without a permanent mooring
5) Your knowledge of the law relating to living on a boat
6) Any advice work or casework you have done in this or other sectors
7) Any other relevant experience that equips you to be a volunteer caseworker with the NBTA
8) The role of volunteer caseworker often requires you to be available to boat dwellers at short notice. Can you commit to being a volunteer caseworker in these circumstances, and can you further commit to attending up to two feedback and support meetings per year to continue your development in this role?
Donations are welcome towards the cost of hiring the hall and amenities.
We are looking forward to meeting you on September 11th. Here is a leaflet/ poster if you would like to help publicise this. Thank you. BoA training 110916 leaflet